The end of the semester is upon us once again and, as classes wrap up and final papers are turned in, I find myself wondering how it is possible for semesters to go by so quickly. Re-reading my original blog post, back in the days when I had no idea what I was doing, I thought it appropriate that I should spend a brief moment reflecting on the last four months. I was uncertain of my YA lit class for the first couple of weeks. I am not an education major and some aspects of the class dealt with issues that are relevant to those pursuing a career in teaching English to teens. However, I quickly came to enjoy the class and I would save my YA reading for my "fun" homework, the homework I would do on Thursday evenings when I couldn't bring myself to do any other work. Furthermore, I have learned a lot from this class and I will share some of that with you.
First of all, my knowledge of YA literature has increased exponentially. Before I had no idea what YA lit encompassed. Now, I feel that I have a much better grasp on the genre, even as I recognize the boundaries are a little blurry. My appreciation for YA lit has also grown. I have been fortunate enough to read some truly great novels, novels that deal with difficult topics. YA lit doesn't avoid the dark side of growing up or the hard situations that teens often deal with. It is not mere over-simplified sugar-coating of important issues. Rather, many authors have taken great risks, and continue to do so, pushing the boundaries of our thought. For this, I am grateful.
Secondly, I have gained a deep appreciation for all those on the front of the YA lit "movement." There are a lot of great, hard-working authors, librarians, critics, and teachers out there who deserve our praise and gratitude for the flourishing of YA lit and the increased interest it has rightfully been given. The enthusiasm with which many teachers have embraced YA literature and the risks some have taken in bringing innovative ideas to the classroom is truly remarkable. The effects that such a shift could have on the willingness of students to read are potentially great. The growth of YA lit is exciting and it would not have been possible without all those who devoted themselves to raising awareness as to its merits.
Lastly, there are going to be some very good English teachers teaching the next generation. The enthusiasm that my teacher-to-be classmates displayed and their interest in being the best teachers possible is amazing. I was blessed with some very good teachers in my day and sometimes a good teacher makes all the difference. Seeing so much willingness to teach and help students among my classmates makes me smile because I know that there will be many teens who benefit from their commitment. Even though I am not an education major, they taught me a lot about being invested and enthusiastic about whatever it is I end up doing.
I know that I will keep reading YA lit along with all the other reading I do. The stories are engaging and explore themes that remain revelevant to my own life. Besides, I take pleasure from reading YA and see no reason to stop doing something that I love.
Friday, November 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your blog is a model of thoughtful analysis mixed with personal sharing. I hope you will keep the field in mind and that your writing will someday make a contribution to the ongoing conversation about these books and the teens who read them.
ReplyDelete